Hey guys. I found this quote online in the past week or so, and it has really stuck with me. While I definitely don’t work 80 hour weeks, I feel like in the past year I’ve really developed the drive and work ethic of a small business owner. This idea of working twice as hard just to be working for yourself really makes sense to me.
Now, I’m comfortable with the lack of consistent paychecks, and the necessity of sometimes working late nights and weekends. It’s all worth it in exchange for a schedule that allows me to pick my daughter up from school 4 days a week, and make my own decisions as far as the design projects I choose, the new turns my business may take (ahem: creative workshops, like the callig class next month), and all sorts of other new adventured in 2015. What I’m trying to tell you is that I’m happy and comfortable with where I am am, and excited about what’s to come this year.
My goals for 2014 were very general way-of-doing-things types of goals. This year is different. These aren’t really goals so much as , sh*t that just needs to get done. I’m posting them here here, in stone, for my own accountability.
• Make minor modifications to the cleanline studio logo, and then do away with a fine line once and for all. I’ve struggle for a while trying to decide how to clarify my blog a fine line and my boutique design studio, cleanline studio. I think I just need to rip off the band aid and use cleanline studio for everything I do. I will change the logo at the top of this blog, as well as all of my social accounts.
• Create a proper brand guide for cleanline studio. It’s ridiculous really that such a thing doesn’t already exist. This is something that I ALWAYS provide for my branding clients, yet I haven’t done it for myself and my own personal brand. This will include fonts, color swatches, appropriate logo uses, sub marks or logo alternates, and acceptable graphic options to be used on the blog. The goal here is absolute consistency and professionalism.
•Open my stationery shop! This is another one I feel a bit silly about. If you visit the “shop” page in my menu, it still says coming very very soon. That was posted back in April. I had a major change of heart of the things that I’d created for the shop, and how relevant they are/were to what interests me now. I’ll be revisiting this work soon and hopefully making the shop live by the end of March.
• Make a habit of sharing design work and updating my portfolio as projects come to close. All too often I’ll finish portfolio-worthy work, and then forget to do anything with it. I know, it’s a sin and I’m working on it!
• Design a media kit for the blog. As I begin to talk with brands more and more, a media kit of press kit is just something I’ll need to come across as the professional blogger I am/aspire to be. Another part of the media kit will be collecting testimonials from readers, and past brand partners. If you’d like to be really proactive and help me out with a testimonial, please feel to email me at email@example.com, and a HUGE thank you in advance!
• Get an LLC. It’s just plain time. I’ve been in business for 3 years and I just need to do this, to protect myself and my family. It’s not one of the bullets I feel excited about, but I’ll be glad to have it done!
So that’s it, my list of must dos for 2015, in approximate order or priority! If you want to share your to do list for accountability, please do so in the comments section…we can keep each other honest and moving forward this year!